Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Second Chance for Tanlines

When I first heard of Tanlines I popped over to Amazon to sample a listen, and maybe I was cranky or hungry or it had been too long since I looked at a picture of a kitten, but I was not into it. I quickly dismissed it after sampling a couple of tracks and went about looking for a sandwich and kittens wearing bow ties.

A week or so later it popped up on one of my many recommendation lists and in the latest Under the Radar, plus Scott Hansen aka Tycho included them in one of his latest play lists. I gave in. So last night, after my second class of boot camp!!, I put in my headphones and headed for the long walk home. In the 45 minutes it took me to walk from Fremont to South Lake Union I had made it thought the entire album, and I was floored. It is AMAZING. It is indie-pop at its best with undertones of that 80's synth that I love.

Their first LP Mixed Emotions (True Panther Sounds) was released last month to mixed reviews (Pitchfork gave it a 7.1), but I think it is safe to say this is my favorite album of the year. Plus, they are super adorable.

(Swoopy hair and jean jackets...I love.)

I highly recommend grabbing your headphones and giving this duo from Brooklyn a listen. Abby is one of my favorite tracks, though it is one of  the less dancy numbers on the album.



Tanlines will be in Seattle next Tuesday the 24th at Barboza!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got my tickets so I hope to see you there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!i'mexcited!!!!!!!!

-anna

No comments:

Post a Comment